About Me

My photo
What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!

Saturday 23 April 2011

Lime & Passionfruit Tart

  • I made this tart recently for a dinner party and I have to say, it was DIVINE (if i do say so myself!)  The pastry is a really simple recipe and the filling is even easier.  Nom nom nom.  An easy, yet impressive dessert!

  • Ingredients:
  •  - 225g (1 1/2 cup) plain flour
  •  - 125g butter, chilled, chopped
  •  - 60g (1/3 cup) icing sugar mixture
  •  - 1 egg yolk
  •  - 1-2 tbs chilled water
  •  - 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh passionfruit pulp
  •  - 2 tsp finely grated lime rind
  •  - 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lime juice
  •  - 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
  •  - 200ml light coconut cream
  •  - 5 eggs, lightly whisked

Method:

  1. Process the flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and water, processing until dough just comes together. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
  2. Whisk the passionfruit pulp, lime rind, lime juice, caster sugar, coconut cream and egg in a bowl. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
  3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200ºC. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 4mm-thick disc. Line a 3cm-deep, 23cm (base measurement) fluted tart tin, with removable base, with pastry. Trim, allowing 2cm to overhang. Cover with non-stick baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and pastry weights or rice. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool slightly. Use a large serrated knife to trim excess pastry. Place tart on a baking tray.
  4. Reduce oven temperature to 150ºC. Strain the passionfruit mixture through a sieve into a jug. Stir 1 1/2 tablespoons of seeds back into mixture. Pour into the pastry case. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until just set. Set aside to cool. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment