About Me

My photo
What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!

Saturday 2 April 2011

Homemade Farmers Loaf

Easy-peasy bread, especially made extra easy with an electric mixer with a dough hook....


Ingredients:
 - 2 sachets dried yeast (4tsp)
 - 7 cups bread flour
 - 2 1/2 cups luke warm water
 - 1 tbs salt
 - 1 tbs butter
 - 2 tbs cornmeal
 - 1 egg white
 - 1tbs water


Method:
1)  Dissolve yeast in warm water in your mixing bowl.


2)  Add salt, melter butter and flour.


3)  Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer and turn to speed 2 and mix for about 1 minute or until well blended.


4)  Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer.


5)  Place the dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat.  The dough should be sticky.


6)  Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place, free from draft, for about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.


7)  Punch down and divide the dough in half.  Roll each half into desired shape, or use a baking tin and cover with sprinkle cornmeal.


8)  Cover and let the dough rise again in a warm place for another hour, or until doubled in bulk once more.


9)  Using a sharp knife, make 4 diagonal cuts on top of each loaf.  Bake at 220'C for 25 minutes.  Remove from the oven and brush with beaten egg white/water mixture, then bake for 5 more minutes.


10)  Cool on wire racks.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Yum, There is nothing like bread fresh from the oven. Great recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete