About Me

My photo
What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!

Thursday 16 December 2010

Caramel Nut Truffles

Ingredients:
 - 60g butter
 - ½ cup caster sugar
 - 1 tablespoon golden syrup
 - ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
 - ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
 - ½ cup unsalted peanuts, chopped coarsely
 - ¼ cup ground hazelnuts or almonds
 - 100g dark chocolate, chopped
 - 50g dark chocolate, extra, melted
Method:
1)  Combine the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a small saucepan; stir constantly over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in condensed milk, bring to the boil, reduce heat, cook, stirring constantly, for about 6 minutes or until mixture turns a caramel colour.

2)  Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, peanuts and hazelnuts; mix well. Transfer mixture to medium heatproof bowl; cool mixture about 10 minutes.

3)  Roll rounded teaspoons of mixture into balls. Refrigerate on a tray until firm.

4)  Combine chocolate in top of double saucepan, stir over simmering water until melted. Dip balls in chocolate mixture using a fork or skewer, lift balls from chocolate, allow excess chocolate to drip away.

5) Place on a tray lined with aluminium foil or baking paper. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.

6)  Drizzle extra melted chocolate decoratively over top of balls. sprinkle on extra crushed nuts, if desired. Refrigerate until set.




**See below for the White Chocolate Snowball Truffle recipe!

1 comment: