About Me

My photo
What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!

Thursday 26 August 2010

KISS ME Biscuits!

As i'm getting ready to move back to my hometown of Tasmania from 5 years living in London, I've noticed I have a lot of cooking ingredients that need to get used up before I leave... I'd hate to see them go to waste you see. (Any excuse to bake!) So... what is one to do??  I had flour, castor sugar, a drop of vanilla and a big jar of sprinkles!  Hmmm... KISS ME biscuits come to mind!  An easy-peasy faultless recipe, and a favourite with those who are young at heart!

Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 25

Ingredients:
 - 1 Cup caster sugar
 - 200g butter
 - 1tsb vanilla essence
 - 3 cups plain flour
 - 1 tsp Bicarb soda
 - 2 eggs
  - (optional - 1/2 cup raspberry jam)

Icing:
 - 2 cups icing sugar
 - 1-2tbs water
 - pink food colouring (optional)
 - 100's & 1000's sprinkles

Method:
1)  Preheat oven to 180'C

2)  Place sugar and butter in a bowl and mix with an electric beater until well combined

3)  Add flour, vanilla, bicarb and eggs

4)  Mix and knead with your hands until you form a slightly tacky dough

5)  Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes

6)  Line baking trays with baking paper

7)  Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out your dough to about 5mm thick

8)  Cut out with a cookie cutter of your choice and place on your baking tray, leaving about 2mm space in between cookies

9)  Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cookies start to colour slightly.  Remove from the oven and allow to cook completely before icing

10)  You can either ice them as they are (like i did) or you can match them into similar sized pairs and stick them together with a little jam.  Ice on top as normal!  Have FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment